Thursday, January 12, 2012

Introduction

My name is Tyler Haberkorn, I am a Senior at Westborough High School. I am enrolled in a history course titled Facing History and Ourselves. This course deals with the subject matter is centered around the Holocaust that happened during World War II. This course takes this horrific event and breaks it down, it teaches people what caused it on the most basic level. Using this Holocaust as the driving force, students learn about people and the harsh reality of what bullying does. In this course students watch videos, read articles, and discuss the events that took place during the Holocaust. This course is “Unlike any course you have ever taken.” (Mr. Gallagher). It is not about learning the facts surrounding history as much as learning about yourself. It is a course not about bettering the student’s knowledge about a historical event but rather making them better human beings. Students who enroll in this class see unbelievable real events, images that are forever burned into their memories. This class ensures that everyone who takes it will never forget what happened during the Holocaust. It is a half-year elective that is offered at either the level three or level four, college prep level or honors level. Regardless of the level students choose, the levels are mixed. Meaning that the level three class with the level four class. Therefore the two levels learn the same subject matter, only difference is a term paper for the honors students. I took the course because I had heard great things about it. I had previously taken a course with the same teacher who teaches Facing History and Ourselves and wanted to take another class with him. I live in a good town and have a pretty sheltered life. I know this is not the way everyone live around the world and feel I needed a better understanding of what some people have gone through. I believe I take this for granted more often than I should and am hoping to gain a better appreciation of how good people have it here in Westborough. As well as more about becoming a better person. No one can ever be too good of a person and this class will improve anyone as a person. After this course students who have taken it are no longer able to be a bystander, they take action and stand up to perpetrators. I highly recommend this course, it has meant more to me than any other course I have taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment